Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mirus on Why He Dissed the Latin Mass: "I Took No Position on the Matter Myself"

"Joey, have you ever seen a grown man prevaricate?"

BREAKING: Under his blog post, there is now 1 comment (out of 16) that completely supports Dr. Mirus's post on the Latin Mass. It is from Dr. Mirus himself:
I have to say that I am astonished by the reaction to this article, and by the several lengthy "refutations" of it in the Traditionalist press. All I did was summarize the arguments for and against a greater use of the vernacular that were made at Vatican II, along with providing some of the historical background that was relevant to this potential change. I took no position on the matter myself; the sole purpose was to promote broader understanding of why changes were made. Of course, no one can object to those who state, in various ways, that they would have preferred that the question of language had been settled differently than it has been. What is revealing is how many people have attacked me as an enemy of the Faith simply for summarizing various arguments made at the Council on this issue! Clearly, in such cases, personal attachments have destroyed reason.
Bollocks.

The argument wasn't that you were an Enemy of the Faith (that's your rhetorical strategy). It was that you were wrong.

Man up.

9 comments:

  1. The fact that only paying patrons are allowed to post comments on Dr. Mirus' blog adds a whole new layer of awkward to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know. At one time, when I first started following Catholic stuff online, I thought Catholic Culture was THE important Catholic site. It was really important for me to make the occasional comment on THE important Catholic site. So I gave them $5. I wonder whether there are others like me. Or am I the king of narcissistic chintz?

      Delete
    2. I hear one has to register a private domain for his blog to rise above the level of Patrician.

      Delete
    3. I just added you to my "Papists" list, by the way. I hope you don't mind. I keep meaning to do it and forgetting.

      Delete
  2. This is a good development — his own readers disagreeing with him. Dr. Mirus has taken upon himself (and often does) the Herculean task of defending the utterly indefensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mirus for some reason tries to drag eastern rites into his argument to prove his point. I am eastern rite and we still use our liturgical language (syriac) and it has facilitated the universality of the Church because it enables every maronite catholic to worship in the same language. To experience this universality in time and through time is worth keeping. Mirus's thinking is flawed and it is the faithfulness of the eastern rites to our liturgical languages demonstrates it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another great point. Man, his essay was weird.

      Delete
  4. I stopped reading that website years ago. I was disappointed when Phil Lawler went under his umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is impossible NOT to go afoul of Dr. Mirus' peculiar take on Internet propriety. I was a $20-a-month subscriber till I noticed that any and all my criticisms of Pope Francis style (I never criticized what he said, rather how he said it and to whom he chose to convey his thoughts, mostly liberal outlets) were simply never posted. It made no difference that I was polite, moderate, or respectful of the pope's office -- I was -- Mirus determined that NO criticism was going to appear, period. Same thing for criticisms of Mohammedanism and of Vatican policies favoring the so-called Palestinian cause. So I pulled my contribution and sent it elsewhere, to a place less stultifying than Dr. Mirus' realm.

    ReplyDelete